What did she just say?!

Three dogs. That's what I have. Actually two are mine, one belongs to my daughter.

Kali, she's a Silver Labrador. Lukas, he's the German Shepherd. Chloe, she's a Shitzu and belongs to Kylene.

Every night when their food is in their bowls, we say "one, two, three, GO!" And they run to their bowls.

Tonight I tried something new. As the three of them are lined up eager to jump up and run, I decide to say:

"Un, dos, tres, VAN!"

Nothing. All I got was a snicker from my husband and three confused looking dogs. Each looked at the other, tilted their heads as to say "What did she just say?"

Ok, I try again.

"Un, dos, tres, VAN!"

Still, nothing.

Now, there are some people who believe that dogs don't actually KNOW what we're saying, just the tone of the voice. I said it exactly as I would in English. Kali is a very smart dog. She knows quite a few toys by their names and, if I'm telling Jayden to "clean up your toys because Nana has to vacuum" she runs and hides. She knows the word vacuum. She also knows the word "clean." That word means that the vacuum will eventually come out. So, don't tell me that dogs don't know what you are saying.

As I stand there looking back at my three confused dogs, I was determined to get them to move with something different.

So, I tried this:

"Eine, zwei, drei, GEHEN!"

Lukas calmly got up and trotted over to his bowl.

WTH?

Chloe followed a few seconds after Lukas. I think she was just hungry.

I look over at Kali, she's still lying there waiting for her words in English.

So, for her sake, I said "one, two, three, GO!"

And off she went to her bowl.

Now I'm trying to figure out who in the heck taught Lukas German!

No comments: