Trip to New York

Last week I took a last minute trip with my husband to New York. I wasn’t planning on going, but when I heard the 9/11 Memorial was open, I thought, why not. I made the reservation and then went over the site online to find out more information on the memorial. Which I should have done before I made the flight reservations. Even though the 9/11 Memorial is a public memorial, you are required to have a pass (which is free, of course) to enter the site. They were “sold out” of passes through the end of September. I thought maybe I could obtain a pass when I arrived in NY, except by the time we arrived; it was “sold out” through the end of the year. So heads up – if you are planning on going to NY and you think you’re going to be able to get in the 9/11 Memorial – get your passes online super early!

Our trip this time was just a very short 3 day trip, actually just one entire day to explore New York. Ray had a seminar to attend to while I ran around. I really enjoy New York, it’s such a huge city, and it amazes me every time. We usually go November so it was a nice treat to actually see New York before the leaves change. Although fall is my favorite time to go, it was a nice change. The weather was warm, but not miserably warm. Monday was a bit humid, but bearable. To see previous posts on my trips to New York, you can go here and continue with the day to day posts.

This trip I thought I’d challenge myself by using just my fisheye lens. Sometimes I get like that – for one, it’s much lighter to carry around, two, well, it makes for some interesting photos and three, you can see for infinity with that lens. And I wasn’t much in the mood to haul around 2-3 extra lens since I’ve been in the city several times before.

We arrived Sunday late afternoon, checked into our Hotel and just hung around Times Square. We stayed at the Marriott Marquis at Times Square. I love it there ‘cuz you’re right in the middle of the action. The hotel is pretty neat inside as well. Great bar downstairs, tall elevator and cool carpet. Yes, everything else is pretty awesome also . . .



We had an Italian dinner, which was delicious . Afterwards, we walked around Times Square for a bit.





I was amazed to actually see the Times Square subway entrance empty!

The next morning while Ray was attending his seminar; I picked up some coffee, found a seat in Times Square and just soaked up the atmosphere and tried to figure out which direction I wanted to head in. I only had about 3 hours before I was to meet up with Ray, so I figured I walk towards Central Park. I had planned not to go there since I have so many pictures of the park in past trips. I’m glad I did. I don’t have any pictures of Central Park in the summer. Although I think it is much prettier in the Fall.








As I was heading back to the hotel, I saw this strange art get up. I’m sorry, but when I see things like this, I can't help but think the person just got bored and thought of something, anything, to throw together and place outside Central Park. A statute of innertubes!!

You with me on that one?

Ray and I called ahead for some tickets to see the David Letterman show a few weeks back. The afternoon was spent at the Ed Sullivan Theater. Prior to the show, we stopped by the Hello Deli and had a sandwich, made by Mr. Rupert himself. He still looks like a deer in headlights when you talk to him. Funny. Only those who watch the show will know what I’m talking about.

(Sorry - taken with a cell phone) After grabbing a quick picture with Mr. Rupert, we walked over to the theater and stood in line to get our tickets. Once inside, they gave us our tickets, told us what to expect and our time to return for the show. We went to a bar around the corner, on the suggestion of one of the employees at the Letterman show, called The Three Monkeys, had a couple of drinks until it was time to head in. Interesting how they do things there – they, of course, get you really pumped prior to the show. That want to make sure you’ll laugh even if you “don’t get the joke.” Um, okay. We sat over to the right side of the stage, 3 rows back. Not too bad, had the perfect shot of the guests without any obstruction of the equipment on stage. I was worried about that at first, but it all moves around. Funny, I had thought sitting smack in the middle is the perfect spot, but all the equipment moves to the center during the show. You’re actually taken to the seats, you don’t have a choice. David Letterman came out and talked with the audience and even reimbursed one of the audience members for a Late Show T-shirt he bought just before coming into the theater. Then, once the show started – it was all said and done within an hour. No retakes, no mistakes, it was like watching the show. We were out of there by 5:30. Unfortunately, they are extremely strict on any form of photography inside the theater – including cell phone pictures. So, nothing for ya to see.

Each time Ray and I go to New York, we always get a pizza at Lombardi’s. And we usually take the subway. But since the weather was beautiful, we decided to walk. That’s a long frickin walk! Took us a little over an hour to get there. Great way to work up an appetite, though. We passed a street fair, some bands playing on the street corners, and a variety of kids messing around. It was a great relaxing walk.



The next picture shows, on the right side, the triangular-shaped building is the Flatiron Building, or Fuller Building, as it was originally called and is considered to be a groundbreaking skyscraper; one of New York City's oldest - and most unique - buildings. Upon completion in 1902 it was one of the tallest buildings in the city, the only skyscraper north of 14th Street and you could see it all the way from Central Park. It sits on an entire block, bounded by Fifth Avenue, 23rd Street, and Broadway, facing Madison Square. It’s one of the earliest buildings to use steel construction and non-load bearing facades.


The history in this City is absolutely amazing. As we continued on we passed a Gyro stand and it smelled gooood! Our appetites were kicking in. I’m sure many of the locals grab some of these for dinner.

Finally we arrived at Lombardi's. We had our usual pepperoni, spinach, mushroom and garlic. Sooooo good with a tall ice cold beer. And after stuffing ourselves, that one hour walk is what we needed. We figured out it was 3.77 miles each way. I’m sure with all the walking I did earlier in the day; I must have walked a total of 15 miles!

Back at Times Square, they had a free showing of the opera right smack in the middle of the square. Hundreds of people were sitting watching several TVs showing the opera. It sounded awesome, like you were almost there – accept the occasional bus or motorcycle going by.


They usually have something playing on those TVs at night.

While listening, I played around trying to get some artsy shots with the lights.

I call this one Fountain of Lights

Next is Newsstand Madness


And finally, Times Square


Another year down, another trip to New York.

We’re heading to Washington DC end of October, so I’ll post a blog of that trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very kewl.. This is Cheryl ;-)