The City That Never Sleeps! - November 10-11, 2009

New York. Huge. Crowded. New York.

This was my second trip to New York. Ray and I went last year. He attends a seminar there each November and I follow along. Great way to vacation, for me.

We arrived late afternoon on November 10. We never rent a car in New York. What’s the point? There’s no parking to speak of. And you’d never get anywhere with all the traffic. The choice of transportation around New York City – a yellow cab. And believe me, in a sea of yellow, you’re gonna get one. As we drove to our hotel, I grabbed a few shots of the city viewed from the cab.

We stayed at the New Yorker Hotel on 8th and West 34th streets. A midtown Manhattan Hotel. Has quite the history. It was built in 1929 was considered one of the largest hotels in it’s hey day. The New Yorker is designed in the Art Deco style that was popular in the 1920s and 1930s. Quite interesting and very historic.

When you walk in it has this gorgeous chandelier.


Ray’s daughter, Michelle was in New York for a seminar as well and we were able to meet up with her that evening. We jumped on the subway for some Lombardi’s Pizza.


We got off the Subway near Spring Street and hiked to Lombardi’s. I say hiked because it’s exactly what we did. A long, long walk. I enjoy walking through New York, especially at night. It’s a completely different City at night.

We finally arrived at Lombardi’s. Lombardi’s Pizza was the first American pizzeria. Established in 1905, this is known as New York’s best tasting pizza. And I have to agree to that statement. It was the best pizza I’ve ever had. Even the best pizza in Chicago failed the test to Lombardi’s.


Michelle and I ordered a glass of their “homemade Sangria” and Ray had a beer. Please don’t ask me why we ordered Sangria at an Italian Restaurant, it just sounded great after our long hike. And it was great!

We ordered Pepperoni, Mushroom and Sautéed Garlic Spinach pizza and man was it fantastic!

Michelle and I assured Ray we only wanted one slice so there was no need to order 2 pizzas. Well, after one bite, Michelle and I looked at each other both knowing there’s no way one piece was gonna do it for us. It was just too darn good to have only one slice. So we each had 2.

Afterwards we hiked over to the Zinc Bar to listen to some Jazz.

Michelle ordered a bottle of Champagne.

We popped it open, sat back and listened to some interesting and enjoyable music. The band was AnOuCh High Soul, a twist of soul, jazz and Armenian traditional music. The lead singer, Anouch, was fantastic. We really enjoyed listening to her and her band.

We grabbed a taxi, we were a bit tired from all the hiking we did this evening. Dropped off Michelle at her hotel and back to our hotel. I grabbed some shots out of the taxi of Times Square.




Wednesday Ray had his seminar to attend, so it was just me and New York. I started out around 9:30am. First stop, Starbucks! It was cold, 45 outside, I needed some hot coffee. Found a little spot in Times Square and enjoyed my Starbucks did some people watching. I love to watch people. Especially in New York.


I spent most of my time between 5th Avenue enjoying the shops, over to Avenue of the Americas (aka 6th Avenue) and Times Square.

While in Times Square in came upon this huge staircase in the middle of the street. Turns out under those stairs were ticket booths. These ticket booths were getting ready to open and sell theater tickets for up to 50% off. I thought for a minute what play I wanted to see, but decided to pass. All the people standing on either side of the staircase were waiting in line.



Walked around and came upon the M&M’s store. With an invitation like this, how could you pass it up?! I definitely went inside. I love the stores around Times Square. Everything is so BIG and LOUD and they sure make a statement.

While walking around I heard a little voice: “Pissst, you with the camera” I turned around and this guy says “Take a look over there at that idiot with the pose.”

And as I turned, I see “M”elvis – lol. Yep, he had the pose going on too!

M&M store is very colorful. Great place to take kids. And chocolate in every direction you turn.




And yes, Chocolate is better in color!

While visiting M&Ms, Michelle texted me about a parade starting on 5th Avenue. Turns out it was the Veterans Day parade. This parade is the oldest in the nation and this year the largest. I headed over to 5th Avenue, found a spot and took a few pictures.

As I was waiting for the parade, this old man dressed up in very festive attire walks by. I caught him at the last second – what a cutie, yes?

Amazing the amount of soldiers attending the parade. I just stayed for a short time.




My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson


Thank you to each and every one of you for your proud service. I am forever grateful!

I decided to walk around Central Park. Being a holiday, I knew the park would be full of people so the safety issue of walking around by myself ceased. I’m glad I did. It’s a beautiful park in the fall. This year, the trees were a little light on the leaves compared to last year. Last year they were full, colorful and beautiful.

I spent time shooting people being people, and some empty spaces . . .





I love Central Park in the Fall!


One of the walkways in Central Park has some beautiful tile work.


It was getting quite chilly out, so I headed back to our hotel. Took the long way out of Central park. It's just so peaceful this time of the year.



Near one of the exits, I see an ice skating rink. Part of the skyline was a perfect backdrop.

Central is such a beautiful place in the fall!

Next post – our visit to the Statute of Liberty, lower Manhattan, and our favorite Bakery in Harlem.


1 comment:

judyd said...

i love reading your blog. your camera eye is always honest and your dialog, grateful and informative. thank you, my friend for sharing.