Jayden's Trip to the Trains

I thought I would make Mondays my day to post something about me. Or my family, or travel, etc. I have it on my calendar as a ‘project’ to do for Mondays, and I do plan to stick to it! Sort of my forced time management. Ha!

It’s been a busy summer. Besides photography, I had my grandson visit for “35 days”, as he puts it. Trying to come up with things to do with a 5 year old when your summer is one of the hottest ones on record – days and days of 100+ degrees, and trying not to run out of things to keep him entertained, can be a challenge. It taught me several things: (1) make sure I’m in tip top shape to keep up with a 5 year old; (2) make sure I’m in tip top shape to keep up with a 5 year old; (3) make sure I’m in tip top shape to keep up with a 5 year old, and, finally (4) make sure I have several different names for him to call me besides “Nana” every 1.25789 seconds!

Seriously, he is the apple of my eye, the beat to my heart, the road to the ice cream shop, the hours in my days and the pillow my head hits each and every night.

We did pretty good though. We started out every morning with “school” to make sure he was on top of all he needs to know because he was “going to Kindergarten when I get home.” We usually ended around 11:30 am, had lunch, and then hit the road to some place that had air-conditioning! There were times when we sat outside and watched a play, or played in the fountains at the park. Otherwise we had a schedule each week. Every Tuesday or Thursday we’d end up at a place called Jumpalooza where he could jump until his heart’s content. I figured out if we arrived around 2:30 and left by 4:30 he would be too tired to do anything after dinner. Hee hee – early bed nights equals glass of wine and a movie night for me. Come to think of it I believe I had a glass of wine every night for 35 straight nights this past summer. Daaaaaaaammmmn!

Ray and I took Jayden to visit the Houston Railroad Museum one hot, miserable day. I don’t believe it was what HE thought it would be (a museum filled with nothing but toy trains) but he enjoyed it nonetheless. Great place to view the old passenger trains of the past. Most of them were from the 40s and 50s, but there were a couple from the 20s – mainly freight-type trains. It was 105 that day and no air-conditioning in many of the cars. It was hot, miserable but interesting. As you can see from some of the pictures with Jayden, he’s pretty hot!









After looking through all the trains, there was one train set aside for the kids - model trains galore. Of course, it was run by a one of the employees. Amazing how they can recreate scenes to look real . . .




One thing that came out of this trip is Ray has been researching on starting up a model train set with scenes. Would be fun. Says it's for Jayden when he comes to visit. Sure, it is!

No comments: