In Search of Bluebonnets

The Hill Country here in Texas starts just East of Austin, in Washington County and goes West.

A couple of weeks ago, Ray and I drove to the Hill Country in search of Bluebonnets. End of March and into April brings some breathtaking pastures of Bluebonnets. Although this year has been a dry one, I was hopeful to find a field of Bluebonnets somewhere on our drive.

I searched online for a map within Washington County and came across a wonderful ‘Bluebonnet Trail’ guide which we followed. We drove out Hwy 290 towards Brenham, east of Austin. Just past the Brazos River there was a 10 acre pasture of Bluebonnets alongside Hwy 290. We did not stop as there were tons of people photographing and parking was tight. I really wanted to just get on the Trail.

In Chappell Hill, just East of Brenham, we turned onto FM 1155 and drove North. I was slightly bummed that I did not see pastures of wildflowers. There were a few on the side of the road.

We came across the Washington On The Brazos State Park. This is also known as the birthplace of Texas. We went to check it out.

The park is located on the Brazos River, and is the site of the 1836 General Convention which would decide the fate of Texas and the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence on March 2, 1836. The park also has one replica building which is called Independence Hall, the site of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence.

We walked around the short walking trails and along the Brazos River. This particular part of the river was Washington’s lifeline during the 1840s and 1850s as well as the head of navigation for Riverboats bringing goods from Galveston, New Orleans and New York. By the 1960s railroads took over the river’s role and the town gradually disappeared over the next 20 years.

After our short walk of history, we found a small patch of Evening Primrose and Bluebonnets in the park.

After more looking around we got back in the car and continued our drive. The countryside is beautiful. It reminded me of lazy afternoon drives through Sonoma County back roads in California. And the weather was perfect. I kept thinking any minute we would come around the corner and see the ocean. Yes, it was that perfect!

We finally spotted our only field of Bluebonnets on Hwy 105 heading back to Brenham.


I must have spent a good 1/2 hour enjoying that field before the next set of cars came by hauling scores of photographers.

That was the only field of bluebonnets I saw that entire day. Others were saying the same thing. Some had been on the road since the sun rose. I hear it can be breathtaking when the rains come when they should. I found this image on line:

Hopefully next year it will be back to normal!

1 comment:

Mary said...

As always, your photos blow me away. I LOVE Texas bluebonnets and was lucky to find ONE plant in my local Mississippi garden center, so it is blooming happily on my deck. Thanks for sharing your art!