In The Middle of Nowhere!

I took a trip to Arizona weekend before last to visit two high School friends of mine. Peggy, lives in Anchorage but travels down to Arizona in the winter to run her horse riding business. Reta, lives in California. I seem to see Peggy every 2 – 6 years, depending on what’s going on and where we happen to be. Reta, I haven’t seen her in 31 years. So, in between ‘visiting’ Peggy, Reta and I were catching up on 31 years of life. We still have lots in common and our friendship picked up like it never left. We also pitched in and helped Peggy do some running around and moving items, as that was her last weekend in Arizona. She has a long haul back to Anchorage with horses in tow. A long haul I’d love to drive some day! I can only imagine the beauty traveling through Canada!

Being in the desert has it's perks and miseries. One perk was it's quiet. It's been years since I heard quiet like that. So peaceful. Another is the amount of stars at night - you can see forever. Last time I saw that many stars was camping up on Mt. Lassen in California. The miseries - well, for one it can get hot. Dry and hot. Although the weather was ok while I was there - I can only imagine the hot. One thing I realized was missing the humidity in Houston. That's shocking coming from a California native. What I like about the humidity is that my skin feels SO much better. I felt my skin shriveling up everytime I stepped outside in Arizona!

I grabbed a few pictures while there. It’s in the middle of nowhere – although the locals would definitely not call it that. Many came from other areas like Chicago, New Jersey, Pennsylvania. All ‘snow’ states. I guess when you get tired of the snow you head somewhere where you make sure no snow ever falls. Unless you’re Peggy. I remember her talking about moving to Anchorage in high school. She loves it! This was her last trip to Arizona and she's looking forward to the cold, freezing winters of Alaska.

Here are some of her horses on the ranch.









This is War Paint. A horse that Peggy sold and will have to stay in Arizona. For health issues - he does much better in the warm weather. He's an adorable old man. He has the cutest pouty lip. LOL



Here's another one of her favorites. And, of course, I cannot remember his name. It will come to me another time and I'll add it here: ____________.



I never thought I'd see this much love come from a horse to a person! They love Peggy so much, and she them. You could see the love between them. I know it's going to be hard to leave these two behind, but she knows it's for the better. They have a great home now.

Lots of interesting things out in the desert. This is an old saddle sitting on a dead branch. It could only look good with an old western twist to it.



And just a desert shot with the full moon with a vintage/color twist.


So, one year down, hopefully more in the future. We'll try this again in 5 years. Unless we can get Peggy to head on over to New Orleans next year. That's when Reta and I, and the hubbies, will meet again.

No comments: