Sail Away

I stumbled upon a blog a few days ago about a 16 year-old attempting to make history as the youngest person, male or female, to circumnavigate the world in a sail boat named Wild Eyes. I’m sure the news covered this story out in California, but I heard not one peep about this adventure here in Houston. And I don’t recall CNN having mentioned anything about it. If they did, then I was on the floor playing ‘touchdown’ with my grandson. Sometimes my life is in the middle of a 3 year-old’s world of Dora the Explorer and Thomas the Train. News in this house is a foreign object from 7am to 7pm.

I honestly don’t recall how I stumbled on this blog, or what led me to it, but I’ve been captivated since its discovery. For those of you who are far removed from the news as I am these days, her name is Abby Sunderland. She’s from Southern California and has dreamed of this day since she was 13 years old.

I also noticed while exploring her blog and site that there is another 16 year old currently making the same adventure. She’s just a tad older than Abby, from Australia, has been at sea since October 18, 2009, and her name is Jessica Watson. Again, another newsworthy feat I was oblivious to.

As I read through these blogs I am amazed at these two young ladies. Being in an open ocean by themselves just amazes me. At 16, I was far from any huge accomplishment like this! Heck, I’m still far from any huge accomplishment like this! I've never been on a sail boat. I will someday soon. Will I go out in the open sea? No way! Imagining that is far, far from my mind! I completely admire them for their dreams and fulfilling them at such a young age. I can only sit back and wonder what they will be doing 10 years from now.

If you have time, please check out their blogs.

Abby Sunderland has been on her adventure for 7 days now.

Jessica Watson has been on hers since October 18, 2009. She has some pretty scary days near Cape Horn!

2 comments:

Allison said...

Pretty inspiring. I find the ocean very intimidating (not to mention sea-sickness inducing : )

Along those same lines, the boyfriend of a good friend's daughter just returned from Antarctica where became the youngest person to climb the 7 summits... the highest mountains on each of the seven continents. He is 17

Johnny's site

YouTube video/news report

Zaffiro Images said...

Wow! Amazing! I know if I could live this life over again, like everyone else, there are many, many things I'd do differently. One of them is doing something along these lines!