Six Years Ago Today . . .

Six years ago today, my beautiful daughter, Kylene, gave birth to my first grand child, Jayden.  I was unable to be their for his birth due to a family emergency happening at the same time.  It was a very bitter-sweet day.  Saying goodbye to someone so very dear to me, and hello to another.  Amazing how fast those six years have gone by!

I thought I'd share some of my favorite images of Jayden over the years.

I remember when I first met this little bundle of joy, he was 6 weeks old.  Kylene and Jayden flew out to New Orleans for a visit.  Ray and I couldn't let go of that baby the entire time he was there!


He had some of the most serious looks for a baby!  I knew he was gonna be a thinker!

I flew out to Charlotte the following October to shoot a wedding and stayed with Kylene and Jayden.  He was almost 4 months.  Amazing how fast they grow when you're not physically there to witness
this.  I couldn't believe how big he was and how alert and talkative he was; especially to Kylene.  We went to a park near her home to get a few shots of her and Jayden.  All he wanted to do was 'talk' to his mommy.  We couldn't get him to look at the camera, or to "Nana" for anything.  This was one of my favorite shots of them.  He was babbling on and on and Kylene looked at him and said "What?"  It was sooo very sweet.


In December 2007 Kylene and Jayden came to our home in New Orleans for Christmas.  My oldest, Kelvin, and his girlfriend sent Jayden an adorable sweater and hat outfit.  I wanted to get some pictures of him in his new outfit and trying to capture him at the house just wasn't working. So, I thought taking him over to the park would trigger him into a 'fun' mode and get some shots there.  NOPE, wasn't having it.   I decided to sit in the middle of a field and told Kylene to just let him walk around.  I put on my zoom lens and captured what I call the "All By Myself" series.






My most FAVORITE style of photography -- Lifestyle.  A kid just being in his own little world.  The best in my opinion.

August of 2008 Kylene attended a seminar in Atlanta and I joined her to watch Jayden.  We spent every waking second together roaming around Atlanta.  We went to the Zoo, Aquarium, the Children's Museum, found a Carnival and he loved to play in the pool.  These are some of my favorites from that trip:







In July of 2009 Kylene and Jayden moved to Houston and lived with us.  I think this was the most favorite time with them.   Not only did he take over the neighborhood, it was great having a little person running around the house again.  The last time I heard feet like that running on my floors was in 1988 when Justin was 1.

Ok, typing that date just hit an age nerve.  Let's move on. . .

October 2009 was the highlight of that year and one of my favorite as Kylene won a trip to Disneyland from Ellen Degeneres, along with a new car and $10K to boot.  Ellen flew us (Kylene, Jayden and I) to enjoy our Disneyland trip and to see the show.  We had a great time -- Jayden had the best time.





He sure enjoyed his new friend, Ellen.


2010 - year of the funny faces.  What a character !  It's fun when they get to that age where they just won't sit still long enough for at least a semi-serious shot. . .









. . . until you just have to join him.


Jayden and Kylene moved back to North Carolina March of 2011.  Saddest day of my life seeing them drive off.


But all the visits during the year were fulfilling.  He came out and spent his summer vacation with Nana and Pop.  THE BEST!

We went bowling


A trip to New Orleans to see "his girls"


the Aquarium


visit a Train Museum


Children's Museum



learn to tie his shoes


To the Mall to ride the Carousel



and enjoy time with Pop at the game


6 years later here we are.  Lots of changes in his little life this year.  He has a new daddy, a new little brother and a baby brother on the way.


He'll be spending his summer vacation with Nana and Pop again this year.  As he puts it "I'll see you in 16 days Nana, and I'm staying for 45 days!"  Ray and I are thrilled and have lots of fun stuff planned.  He'll be surprised by many of them this year.

Happy Birthday Sweetheart!  You have filled our lives more than you'll ever know.


I'm looking forward to our early morning breakfast in the courtyard, 'playing' school, going to Jumpalooza, the park, the pool, the zoo, the beach.  Playing football, baseball, soccer and cars.  Our late night movies in bed, reading books, and tickling until you can't laugh anymore.  It's gonna be a blast.

Thank you for keeping me young at heart and in shape!

No comments: